Saturday, November 6, 2010

Long Hiatus- Operation Everybody Graduates

Greetings cyberspace. It's been some time since I posted last. I'd like to list all of the excuses I have for forgetting my commitment to sharing part of my journey to being a better educator, but they are trivial. Time, motivation, personal crises aside, I have missed writing about what is near and dear to my heart- making public education into what all of our kids deserve. One of the things that has taken up much of my time lately is kinda silly- I've been changing my diet drastically. I am transitioning to being a vegan, and I've been researching a lot of vegan recipes and raw vegan meals. Of course, my commitment to the earth and all its inhabitants remains strong, and this for me is another step towards being a better steward of the earth. Now I say I am "transitioning" for a few reasons. First and foremost- if someone were to put a slice of cheEditese pizza in front of me I'd certainly oblige. I was raised to be gracious for all generosity that is offered, but mostly for food. To say 'no' to food is outrageously rude-- Italians are funny that way. I also call my journey a transition because I have slowly transitioned animal products out of my diet. The toughest was cow's milk, because I drank it twice a day. But, I have discovered two incredible substitutes- coconut milk and almond milk. Both are yummy straight up, but also make a nice bowl of fruit and granola, are a good addition to your coffee or tea, and make a phenomenal smoothie. Those are my new obsession- smoothies. Every day for breakfast, I have a super green smoothie- it powers my mind and body for the day. I look at this as part of being the best human I can on all fronts- professionally, personally, I am more level headed, I have more energy and stamina, and that makes me a better role model for my kids, my niece and nephews, a better sister and friend.

Two rather profound things happened this week, and ironically, both happened on Friday. Maybe it wasn't a coincidence, maybe the universe was looking for me to learn something big yesterday. So, I was having a conversation with my principal, asking her to help me and a colleague scrape together some funds to help pay for us to go to FETC (Florida Educational Technology Conference) this January. We submitted a proposal to speak at the conference and were accepted. But they only cover one registration, and we would also have the travel expenses to deal with, along with lodging and food. We had a fantastic conversation, and I am so grateful for her support, it helps to be part of something amazing, and to know you're appreciated. But she did mention that the people who make these decisions have the philosophy that it's not in their best interest to fund a trip for teachers to go speak at a conference, because if the objective of the trip is for us to speak, then it's not like we're learning something new to bring back and contribute. I can certainly see things from that perspective, especially when times are as financially tight as they are. But it made me wonder-- when did it stop being an expectation that teachers share with each other? When did our role become that of a receptacle, a bucket to collect drops of information to organize, plan, and then hand off to students? One of the things we know about learning is that you remember 10% of what we read,20% of what we hear,30% of what we see,50% of what we see and hear, 70% of what we discuss with others, 80% of what we personally experience, 95% of what we teach others (Edgar Dale). Does this theory only apply to students? It's interesting that in times of financial scrutiny, decision makers often cut corners where we need the funding most, and place weird amounts of value in things that we could live without. But right now that's not for me to decide. Nevertheless, I dream of the day when teachers are valued as the professionals they are, complete with the salary, the support, the pride and respect, and the quality of life. In the end, though, as it relates to my discussion, (and this is another reason I am grateful to be in such a phenomenal school community, with great leaders, colleagues, gush gush gush...) I was given some good information by my esteemed principal about how I could write a proposal that would go to said decision makers, which would highlight the professional development that we would benefit from and be able to bring back to our school. I'll take what I can get, and run with it.

OK, so onto enlightenment number two. So, I have been trying to coach one of the grasshoppers through some rough patches in the overall attitude department and back on track. Some things have happened of late which have left me frustrated and feeling inadequate, not to mentioned worried for grasshopper. I ended up having a conversation with the dean yesterday regarding some of the things we've been dealing with, and despite the support and faith in her leadership, I have just not felt right about the situation. And I had a sore throat and was getting more tied by the second. Convinced I was coming down with the contagious creeping crud that has been spreading through the student body like the plague, despite my Emergen-C loading and super green smoothie drinking, I came straight home, got into my sweats and plopped myself on the couch. It was then that the awareness happened. I was flipping through the channel guide, and even though I have 198 cable channels, there was NUH THING on that thrilled me. I saw that a show called "Brick City" was on Sundance, and it sounded interesting, so I tuned in. And I was fascinated. It was a documentary about the efforts by the mayor of Newark, NJ, along with his director of police, and local social activists, to drastically decrease violent crime in the city during the summer of 2008. I watched for 6 hours straight- my eyes glued to the tv like they were giving away cash money. There were many things that opened my eyes about the situation at school, and many comments that inspired me. For instance, "It takes a man to teach a boy how to be a man." And I realized why we need more male role models in schools, and how young men are effected by not having a strong male role model in their lives. My eyes were also opened to the importance of community, and teaching kids about having a moral compass, and how reform cannot happen unless everyone is involved, and how great things don't happen unless adversity helps steer the ship. We can't even think about reforming education unless we reform how people live and think, unless we put the concept of dreams and aspirations back into kids minds, unless we bring the arts back into schools and how they need to be infused into the core curriculum. I could write a whole blog about the absence of the arts in public schools, but tonight I will spare you. Another example of unwise corner cutting in public schools. If you have the chance, the show is "Brick City" and it's shown on Sundance. Thank you Forrest Whitaker, executive producer, Cory Booker, Mayor of Newark, you changed my life.

"When you say a kid doesn't want to learn, that's like saying a moth doesn't want to be a butterfly." (Principal Baraka, Central High School, Newark, NJ)

"Isn't it more powerful to invest in our kids before they become teenagers with crime problems?" (Mayor Cory Booker, Newark, NJ)



And, one last thought to leave you with. I attended a red carpet event at the Naples International Film Festival today. It was a kickoff event for our district's involvement in a project with Bluenose Edutainment where kids will write music, scripts, and sports interviews as part of our regular curriculum. It was AWESOME. What was most awesome was this video. A little girl in a 2nd grade class went to her teacher last spring after the earthquake in Haiti and said, "Can't we do something? Can't we write a song?" The teacher said, "We'll see." The end result was that they partnered with a music composer and producer, a vocal coach, anc eventually a film crew, and they wrote their song, they recorded it, and they made their own video. Now they have their own website, GiveThemHope.net. Check it out, spread the word. Every child should know they can change the world.

"Give Them Hope" Sea Gate Elementary from Mark Haffner on Vimeo.


No comments:

Post a Comment