Saturday, September 11, 2010

Week 3: Operation Everybody Graduates

Writing a blog on the 9th anniversary of the September 11th, 2001 terrorist attacks seems trivial. What could I possibly have to say about the world of education that is relevant to a nation still mourning those lost on that day- the mothers and fathers, sisters and brothers, partners, best friends, sons and daughters. We continue to honor them- the heroes and heroines, the epic battles they fought, as the days wear into nights and the nights wear into dawn. Easily distracted by issues of today, ignorance thrust into the spotlight to distract from what we remember.

But then I remember that September 11th, 2001 was a turning point in my life. What changed was not only the kind of human being I would become, but how I would spend my life. On that day, every moment was drowning in confusion and anger, and for days to come, chaos reigned supreme. I didn't know much except that I was not in the right place, and I couldn't look down the smoking barrel of such an unthinkable tragedy and do nothing. I had been thinking about and planning a move for some time, but that day, the gut wrenching feeling, the images of destruction, watching grown men break down and cry, all of those things nudged me to make a move. Within a few weeks, I would leave my job as a graphic designer and begin my journey to becoming a professional educator. The journey was long, treacherous at times, marked by periods despair and doubt. But 10 months later, credentials in hand, I was hired for my first teaching appointment, and never looked back.

Cliche as it may seem, all I've ever wanted was to make a difference in the world. I can't say that I am all that great at what I do, or that I am a superstar, or that I am even deserving of the right to make any comparisons between my life and this day. But, every day, I am thankful for what I have, and I remember- all those who have loved and supported me over the years, the love of my family and friends, and how lucky I am to be so privileged to have the job I have and be surrounded by such wonderful and amazing people. I remember every time that I look at the NYC skyline that thousands of people perished that day, and that millions had their lives shaken by the events that would unfold. I am thankful that my friends who were in lower Manhattan that day all came home safely.

While I watched the coverage today of the memorials, and the newsfootage unearthed to remind us of who we are and how we got to this moment in time, I am reminded about why I am proud to be an American. I am also reminded of why it is of the utmost importance that I remain committed to the success of my students, and to my role in their lives, especially when they seem not-so-committed to their own success.

I'd like to share two things that I read today that left me chilled to the bone. I thank them both for sharing, from the bottom of my heart.

Poet laureate, Billy Collins, shares his poem "The Names" at a special joint session of Congress in New York on 9/10/10: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/poems/july-dec02/collins_9-6.html

Acclaimed author, Meg Cabot's blog post about what she saw on September 11th, 2001:
http://www.megcabot.com/2010/09/nine-years-ago/

1 comment: